Back to your local site:
 


Related sites

TwinCities.com: The online publication of my employer — the St. Paul (Minn.) Pioneer Press.

Knight Ridder Washington Bureau: Making sense of Washington and the world.



Knight Ridder bloggers
  • Dave Barry
  • Alan Bjerga
  • Ohioblog
  • Jay Rosen
  • Adam Smeltz


  • Blogroll
  • Jay Rosen's PressThink
  • ConventionBloggers
  • Yahoo's Blog Roundup
  • Feedster's Politics Page
  • Technorati Election Watch
  • The Tank's RNC Bloggers
  • Romenesko
  • CyberJournalist
  • Lost Remote
  • TV Newser
  • Blogging of the President
  • Reason's convention blog
  • Tapped
  • Nat. Review's The Corner
  • The Command Post
  • Daily Kos
  • Campaign Desk
  • Scripting News
  • Roger L. Simon
  • Matt Welch
  • KausFiles
  • ABC's The Note
  • Tacitus
  • Power Line
  • Blogs for Bush
  • OxBlog
  • Talk Left
  • Political Wire
  • Glenn Reynolds: Instapundit
  • Jeff Jarvis: Buzzmachine
  • Talking Points Memo
  • Betsy's Page




  • Webb Blog



    Convention thoughts from Tom Webb


    Wednesday, September 01, 2004

    More moments 

    If you watched Tuesday night's session, you caught Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger of California. And as at the Democratic convention, the moment I found most powerful was his memory of life under oppression, and a reminder of the freedoms we too often take for granted in this country.

    An excerpt from Schwarzenegger's speech:

    "When I was a boy, the Soviets occupied part of Austria. I saw their tanks in the streets. I saw communism with my own eyes. I remember the fear we had when we had to cross into the Soviet sector. Growing up, we were told, 'Don't look the soldiers in the eye. Look straight ahead.' It was a common belief that Soviet soldiers could take a man out of his own car and ship him off to the Soviet Union as slave labor.

    "My family didn't have a car, but one day we were in my uncle's car. It was near dark as we came to a Soviet checkpoint. I was a little boy -- I wasn't an action hero back then -- and I remember how scared I was that the soldiers would pull my father or my uncle out of the car, and I'd never see him again. My family and so many others lived in fear of the Soviet boot. Today, the world no longer fears the Soviet Union and it is because of the United States of America."





    Tom Webb

    Tom Webb is the Washington correspondent for the St. Paul (Minn.) Pioneer Press. He can be reached at


     Latest posts

       •  Viewer Mail
       •  Norm on a mission
       •  Food update: cancel that order
       •  Cleavage update
       •  Old soldiers...wait, not that old.
       •  Bob Dylan tribute?
       •  Send food!
       •  Minnesota GOP in NYC
       •  Good morning, GOP
       •  Welcome to New York. NOT!


     Archives

       •  July 2004
       •  August 2004
       •  September 2004


    XML-RSS feed










    About Realcities Network | About Knight Ridder | Terms of Use & Privacy Statement

    Copyright 2004 Knight Ridder. All rights reserved. Any copying, redistribution or retransmission of any
    of the contents of this service without the express written consent of Knight Ridder is expressly prohibited.